Thursday, May 9, 2013

Long Time to Finish

*SPOILERS*
I just finished So Big by Edna Ferber. I really enjoyed the book even though it was on a hard level and was slow going. Towards the end of the book the chapters and point of view started changing to Dirks point of view has well as Selena's. The book had a happy, positive ending but it wasn't fake. Roelf (from the beginning of the book when he was 12) came back to the farm to visit Selena which was nice. By the end of the book Dirk had a very nice, privileged life as a business man. I felt like Selena was disappointed in Dirk because his original dream of being an architect was abandoned for money. Selena had worked hard all her life for what she had and to help Dirk but Dirk did not do the same.
If I were Selena I would also be disappointed in Dirk as well. As soon as Dirk moved into the city of Chicago, he changed. This really opened my eyes to show how much society can change you. Dirk learned the way of life in the city and abandoned his old ways. For some people, this change can be positive but for some it can be negative (like Dirk). If society can change someone's views and make them forget what they believed in then that is a negative thing. Overall I thought the book was really good and I recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment