Friday, January 4, 2013

Starting ANOTHER Series

I started the book, The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau which is the first book in the City of Ember book series. In the book the City of Ember they used to have a unlimited supply of everything but they recently have been running out of items. One of those items is light bulbs so the blackouts are becoming more common and the lights for bed go out at 9:00. In this world a kid goes to school until they are 12 and then they are assigned a job. Lina Mayfleet wants the job of messenger but instead gets the job of Pipeworks worker. Doon Harrow gets job of messenger but wants Pipeworks worker- so they switch.
Since I just started the book I am not very far in and so far I don't know if I like the book. It is moving really slowly and so far not much as happened since around the first chapter when Lina and Doon switch jobs. I don't know if this world is in the past or the future because they don't have trees or grass or the technology we have now but it doesn't seem like it was in the past because it is a different world. I haven't read much but will definitely finish it.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting book, even though you say that its going really slowly. I wonder if any conflict is developed when they switch? Anyways, great response, considering you haven't gotten very far in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Clara! I read this book awhile ago and remember liking it. I think it's in the future but I don't really remember. It seems like a dystopia from your description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this series too! TWINSIES!!!! but in all seriousness...

    I know what you mean when you say it moves slowly. I did end up readin the series, but I wasn't sure if I actually liked it or not, haha. The book definitely gets more interesting, but the pace doesn't change much. It's a little frustrating at times. The second book is interesting, and the third and fourth are okay as well... Can't wait to read what YOU think of them!
    muaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Clara. I've always been inclined to start reading the series but never got around to do so. I also thought that you articulated your thoughts well on the "switch" of the two characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, I know what you mean about being frustrated with the books. At one point later in the books they are singing the lullaby "Hush Little Baby" and they don't know what treetops are which made me really annoyed for some reason.
    Everyone else, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete