Saturday, November 3, 2012

Haunting

I just finished the book Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. This book is incredibly haunting and was unlike anything I had ever read before. The book was about a teenage girl, Lia, and her descent into anorexia. Throughout the book Lia hallucinates that her childhood friend Cassie is visiting her, even though at the start of the book Cassie is found dead.
I have never read anything like this book before. The way that Lia was becoming anorexic and wanting to be so skinny she could disappear was frightening. At night Lia would see Cassie and wake up "breathing dirt and clay" but it would just be the sheet pressed over her face. I always thought that anorexia was more emotionally and physically clear, like "If I am skinny I am pretty" and "Skinny is beautiful" but it wasn't. Lia's mind became seriously disturbed and the way she saw everything was unreal. In TV shows that I have seen sometimes the anorexia is mostly only body and striving to be better but seems unrealistic. The girls in the shows just don't eat but none of the emotional and haunting things I found in Wintergirls is there. I really liked this book and thought it was good and opened my eyes to help me see how real and scary anorexia and other eating disorders really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment