Saturday, October 6, 2012

Am I Blue?


Growing up is hard to do and figuring out who you are, when your growing up is even harder. In Bruce Colville’s short story, Am I Blue, the main character Vince is struggling to find out who he is- all while growing up.
In the beginning Vince is very confused about his sexuality. Vince is struggling to find out who he is. When Vince is visited by his fairy godfather, Martin, Vince says- “‘does that mean I’m gay?’ I didn’t mention that I had been trying to figure out the same thing for a year now.” This shows Vince is still figuring out who he is and is searching for an answer.
In the middle of the story Vince is still struggling  but is gaining guidance and good advice from Martin. “ ‘…it would make life easier on us-’ I interrupted. ‘Speak for yourself’” and “…Signs Are Mixed. In other words, you’re one confused puppy. That’s the way it is sometimes. You’ll figure it out,” are lines of encouragement from Martin that helped Vince in his journey.
                In the end, Vince has matured greatly. “I’ve decided to save it for when I really need it- maybe when I meet the girl of my dreams. Or Prince Charming. Whichever.” In this final line of the story, you can see that Vince is more mature and ready to figure out who he is. However, Vince has not figured it out completely because he is still maturing and growing up.
                Finally, Vince has matured greatly from the beginning and middle, when he wasn’t in touch with himself. In the end of Am I Blue, Vince has not totally figured out who he is, but is on his way. Vince’s journey isn’t over year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment